Saturday, January 10, 2009

Knitting with toothpicks

I'm headed to Washington DC next week and know I'll have some dead time in the airport and such. Mom gave me really cute sock yarn for 12th night, so I figure I'll knit socks on the trip. Of course I have a million other projects I could work on, but socks seem really travel friendly. I got bamboo sock needles today at River Knits and they are size 1 (2.25mm)!!!!! Toothpicks! I wonder if anyone has tested the size of toothpicks. Hmmmm...I think I'll try that! Luckily I looked in the bargain bin, because there was only one skein of yarn left like what mom got me. It's Regia bamboo sock yarn. Very short color ways, so it looks like confetti when it's all knitted up. Cute, but makes choosing a pattern tough. The patterns that looked cool on Ravelry were lacy and I'm not ready for any serious lace sock stuff. I thought about a fancy ribbed pattern, but I don't want to have to count rows and the simple patterns don't show up with this yarn. Now I'm debating if I want to do a simple stocking knit or a slipped stitch rib like I did with Martin's socks. Seems like the elasticity of ribbing would be nice. Then again, it would be so quick to do plain sticking knit. Maybe I'll go to the library for more ideas.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Anna May said...

And she is still.