Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Gardening: Holding on to a little sliver of hope

 Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.

And there you have my gardening motto. I should probably take a gardening 101 class. I'm convinced that the reason my last garden worked at all was because of Rebecca, John and Emily. We were quite the team! I'm not sure what the cure is, but I still don't have a green thumb. My house plants are doing really well thanks to the sunny window they live in front of. However, the garden is down the road a mile or so and just gets neglected. 


My neighbor friend had the great idea to get a community garden plot. We were both totally into the idea! I want to have an awesome garden, but the time factor isn't working out for either of us. We both travel way too much to make this happen gracefully. We get way too excited when it rains and we don't have to go out there and water. Some how, by the grace of God, the garden is still alive. Mostly alive with weeds, but it is alive. I didn't take any pictures of the disaster it was when I got there tonight, but here are the meager signs of life! We are going to get some veggies out of this darn thing. Just needs a little TLC. Here are a few highlights from tonight.


This is the general state of affairs. I like to look at that and think there's hope! At least since it's monsoon season in the DC metro area, the weeds were fairly easy to pull. There are at least 3, half rows of lettuce. (We planted about 6 whole rows) The red leaf lettuce is doing the best. Isn't it gorgeous? I love how pretty vegetables are! Our squash plant didn't get squashed! Actually, the squash is doing remarkably well. I think there are 3 or 4 cucumbers growing near the fence.And who knows, maybe the beets and carrots will decide to surprise us.


Some marigolds are popping up in the midst of the weeds! This picture really shows the weeds. Ugh. Now I look at that picture and see all the weeds I didn't pull. Do you like our classy, orange construction fence? We were too cheap to pay for the green garden fence. It's the same thing though. Just really bright orange. Tomorrow maybe I'll go back and weed some more. I wish my apartment complex would just let me set up a container garden on the roof of the parking garage. No one parks up there anyway! There are no dear up there, no rabbits, no gophers, no snakes! It would be a great place to garden! I wonder if my land lord will read this.

1 comment:

HazWool said...

Looks like you've got some nice veg on the way, and i totally understand about not having enough time for the garden. 'm struggling to keep our current little plot under control (we've got lots of lettuce and courgettes too) and we've just put our name down for an allotment! Eak!