Sunday, February 27, 2011

Check the weather. I'm about to review a book.

You might want to check the weather and see if hell froze over. I read a book! Cover to cover! Marathoning for Mortals was recommended to me, so I bought a used copy on Amazon.com and read the whole thing. Wonders never cease! It's an easy read and I recommend it without hesitation to anyone thinking about running a half marathon or a full marathon. I was almost surprise how helpful the book was! Chapters 7-16 were the most informational for me. Here are my thoughts on a few of the chapters:

Chapter 1: Deciding to train.
I'm a competitive person by nature. This chapter helped me get my mind around why I want to run. I'm never going to win a marathon. Heck...I probably won't ever even run a marathon! Here are the 3 main reasons people train...
1. train to improve
2. train to maintain
3. train to slow the rate of decline.
I'm training for all three reasons! I certainly want to improve my levels of strength an fitness! I would like to maintain my weight. And now that I've hit the big 3-0, I'm well aware that most people freak out about getting old. I don't know why 30 is the new middle age. I'ts the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Really? 30? You're not even close to middle age! Nothing to freak out about. Not a bad time to kick it in to high gear and slow the rate of physical decline though. I'll jump on that band wagon!

Chapter 12: Gear
I think I'm pretty well set with generally running gear. The best part of this chapter was the info on shoes. I'm quickly realizing that I need new running shoes. The book doesn't have a special formula to help you pick the exact right pair of shoes, but I feel like I know what to look for. I know a little more about running show lingo. Next time I head to the store, I will be much more confident shopping for runners.

Chapter 13: Race Strategy, Goals, and Objectives
Whoa! Talk about concepts I hadn't thought about. I have one goal. To run this stinkin' half marathon. It never occurred to me to have mini goals and objectives to get me through the race. My favorite suggestions is to look at a map and pick out a few land marks to look forward to during the race. In Indy, that should be easy enough.

Chapter 14: Race Preparation
This chapter has the most practical advice of all.
a) when you get to the race, get in line for the port-a-potties. When you get out, get back in line. Ha! Good call! This can't be a bad idea!
b) Love this quote, "...if you are standing in the pack at the start of your goal race, you have already accomplished more than most."

I'm not a professional book reviewer, but it's my humble opinion that this is a great book for anyone who is thinking about working out. Even if you aren't running, I think you could benefit from so many of the concepts in this book. I'm glad I read it for sure! You can buy the book on Amazon for 88 cents used or up to around $5 or $6 new. Or you can go old school and see if there's a copy at your local library.

No comments: